Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I was part of an interesting conversation last night concerning working mothers and those that stay at home (and don't work). It got me to thinking about my own decision to stay home and why I do that, why I stick with it, and what it's really good for...because sometimes I need to be reminded. Some of my thoughts:
...If I worked, along with doing all the other things I do at home, I would be stressed! I just have that personality. Now, I know I could have a part-time job and probably be okay, but I need my down-time. So far, an ideal part-time job has not come along.
...I want to be as impactful in the lives of those close to me for as long as possible. At this moment, those lives are my boys'...I know there will come a time when I will not be as influential to their overall growth...I want to do the best I can in the little time I have...a job will always be there.
...Most of the time, I truly do love it! I mean, I can't miss those firsts (steps, teeth, funny comments)! I know Ben hates to miss them, so I fill him in on all the details, but one of us should be there for all those. And the boys' personalities forming, man, it's a riot to see the process.

I definitely don't begrudge any woman's choice-- it's too dang personal...but, I hope in gaining a renewed perspective of my daily walk, I may be sensitive to those of others.

(Believe me, everyday is not a picnic...quite often, the "daily"-ness of it all is drudgery--other than the boys and my husband and knowing that God has given me the amazing gift of grace--today, I'm sitting at lunch telling Brennan how dull the day is except for him and Micah, and he's just looking at me like, "huh? Dooll?" Ha! Now that makes it all worth it.)

No comments: