So far, I have seen 4 summer movie blockbusters, 3 of which have been part of a trilogy: Pirates, Spider-Man, and Shrek. All three have been, to put it nicely, mediocre. In light of my reviews, I thought I'd make an observation about all sequels/prequels that have graced the movie screen in my lifetime. The best, the so-so, and of course, the worst:
BEST of the BEST-- Indiana Jones (You cannot go wrong with Indy, you cannot go wrong.);
The Lord of the Rings (In this trilogy, the third one was the best, as was Return of the Jedi, the third installment of...) Star Wars...or shall I say, SIXTH installment? (...and honestly, those other three prequels don't count). The Bourne Identity series (With the second one just as good as the first thriller and the third on the way this summer, I hope this one stays in this category).
The SO-SO-- I have to put all three of the above (listed from this summer) in this category. They just don't live up to the original (Although the Spider-Man 2 runs a close second to the first, but the third just didn't pull it out like I hoped). Also to win in this category, most of the Rocky sequels (except for Rocky 4).
The WORST-- Ocean's Twelve tops the list as the worst sequel ever. They never should have even tried...and now they're coming back with a third. Hopefully, they learned their lesson. Oh, and any horror sequel ever...hello, need I say more?
The moral of this post: Stop while you're ahead, boys, stop while you're ahead.


No comments:
Post a Comment