Now that Brennan starts school tomorrow (Micah on the 22nd) and the summer is officially over today...I mourn the loss of sleeping in, doing whatever we want, popsicles on the porch, AND, of course, my summer movies. That two-hour slot of time where entertainment, popcorn, and big sound take over my life. Sometimes the story is good and sometimes it's just a head-shaker. Sometimes the soundtrack rocks my socks off and sometimes I barely notice it. Sometimes--eh, nevermind, here it is:
(In no particular order)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine--Hugh Jackman's got this role down and learning the beginnings of wolverine was fun, but the real eye-candy role was that of Ryan Reynold's mutant who does wonders with a sword. Look for the next X-men origins movie to be all about him. Grade: B
The Proposal--Ryan must have been busy these past couple of years, because he headlined this story about a Canadian boss who proposes to her assistant so she can stay in America. Remember when Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks seemed to go hand in hand with a good romantic comedy? Well, that's Sandra Bullock and Ryan. They just fit. Grade: B+
The Hangover--Why do raunchy movies have to be so funny...or maybe it's my humor? Maybe I need to check that occasionally. I don't recommend this because of the language and innuendo, but it was certainly funny. Grade: B+
Star Trek--J.J. Abrams, you are the bomb! Way to bring back this classic story with a look at the beginning roots of Spock, Bones, and, of course, Captain Kirk. Grade: A-
Up--This is the one movie we took the kids too, and, I gotta' tell ya', I would have gone without them if I had to! What a great story about love, friendship, and adventure! Another hit by Disney/Pixar. Definitely worth my money, maybe enough to get the dvd when it's released.
Grade: A
Transformers 2--Of course, there has to be at least one sequel in the bunch, and to be honest, I actually liked this one a little better than the first. The mother (of the main character) was hilarious! However, it could have been 30 minutes shorter...we can only watch robots going after each other for so long! Grade: B
Public Enemies--How can Johnny Depp make a 1930's criminal look so innocent? By making him seem more like Robin Hood than Al Capone. Unfortunately, Johnny's acting is the only good thing I can say about this movie. It was kinda' slow, jumpy, and too dark (like literally). Apparently, according to a nosey guy in the theatre who was eavesdropping on our conversation, they were trying to make it seem "like you were really there". Whatever...it was dark.
Grade: C+
Harry Potter--I love the books and mostly could do without the movies, but I do love to see them take the emotions of teen angst from paper to screen. Will Harry go for Ginny, or Hermoine win over Ron? We shall see. In the meantime, it's a good distraction from the wiles of evil Voldemort. Grade: B
17 Again--The concept of Big meets Zac Efron in this coming-of-age/realizing-what-he-has-right-in-front-of-him story. Very cute. Grade: B+
The Perfect Getaway--Three couples on one of the Hawaiian Islands...people are getting killed. Who done it, who done it, can we guess in the middle of the movie?! Yes, we got it! This was supposed to be way more suspensful than it really was. Grade: C+
Julie & Julia--Julia Childs...who'd thunk it that the woman was hilarious?! Great story about a Julie who? who cooks through Julia's French cookbook in a year and lives to blog it all. And a look back at the same time at Julia's life in France that brought that infamous cookbook to life. Meryl Streep, line up for your Oscar. Grade: A-
(500) Days of Summer--A love story (you think), but more about the process of their love. You figure with all the dialogue, it's going to get boring, but no...you are hooked in the whole time. Loved it! Grade: A
District 9--Aliens, aliens, aliens! They're everywhere! Can we control them? Can we control one of us who begins to mutate into one of them? Interestingly political. Grade: B
I believe that's it. A summer full of fun cinema is now at an end. *sniff* Up early tomorrow. *double sniff*
On Being Thankful
10 months ago


2 comments:
I'm woefully behind in my movie-watching! The ONLY one you listed that I watched was THE PROPOSAL. Yikes! What do I do with my time???
i don't know, what do u do with ur time?? i think u would also really like (500) days of summer.
Post a Comment