
Boy, has there been some conversation going on around here since McCain announced his new running mate--Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin. Ben thinks it's simply a ploy to get woman voters on his side. I, of course, am of a different opionion. To quote one of my favorite movies, Indian Summer--"I gotta' tell ya'. I like her. I like her alot." And here's why:
1. She's pro-life, and from the looks of it, very pro-kids (she's got five of them, and the oldest is heading to Iraq this fall).
2. She's not from the Washington moshpit, she's a born-and-raised Alaskan who obviously loves the state she's working for.
3. She's a woman who is not afraid to stand up for who she is and what she believes in.
4. She relates to us moms who want the best for the kids AND want to be influential in the world.
So, maybe I am a little biased because she reminds me of me and I'm quite fond of who I am. (tee-hee) But, hey, take a look for yourself...Google Governor Sarah Palin and you can form your own opinion.


20 comments:
I'm right there with you, Allison, and prior to this point, I was ready to vote for Ross Perot or Mickey Mouse (which I sort of equate as one and the same). :)
I LOVE this woman!
yes, it was a right move for mccain. he was starting to win me over in the last month or so with his genunine answers to questions, etc. but now i'm in like a flynn. :)
Ok...these are not fightin' words I promise...but it is totally and utterly a ploy to get female voters (and even more the female democratic voters who wanted Clinton). She even said so during the Republican National Convention. It's crazy, and insulting, to think that those women will vote for her just because she's a woman. But you're right, she's for mom's if they are mom's and kids...But I think the reasoning for picking her had very little to do with her ideals, and more to do with potential voter gain. hehe...and now I am extremely unpopular *waves white flag*
I think the same is true of Obama - he'll get a lot of votes simply because he's a young minority, not because he's necessarily worthy of the title.
Amen! Preach it, Annie!!!!
young and black and a rock star and cute...oh, does that have anything to do with his values, principals, ethics?
Gail, you're forgiven...(don't vote for obama, don't vote for obama, don't vote for obama) :)
Obama's values compared in weight and number to McCain's put me in favor of him...personal choice of course. And I'm definitely not impressed by McCain's choice for VP clearly.....but I always vote for who I think will do the best job regardless...if in the next few months that proves to be McCain then so be it...so far nope.
I don't think values and Obama can go in the same sentence. For a man who mocks the Bible and supports a pastor who bashes America, I would say Obama doesn't have too many values.
So Ali, what do you think of Sarah Palin's daughter's out of wedlock pregnancy? This may just endear voters to her as well...knowing that she is going through the same thing that lots of American families have had to face. Funny how McCain is surrounded by beautiful women (have you seen his wife) and he's not too great to look at!
hey, pregnancy happens to teenagers who don't use condoms! and she obviously has a mind of her own (like her mom). i think, of course, it's all in how they deal with it, and i think they've done well.
the main thing and reason noone should vote for obama is his lack of experience in leadership/governing. mccain alone has a butt-load more experience than obama and then you add palin who has been mayor and governor and mom of five! hello! hello! anybody feel me! this leads to why obama chose biden. he has experience in the senate, but also, correct me if i'm wrong, i don't believe he's ever been governor or mayor, just senator. of course, mccain has only been a senator, but you throw in his p.o.w. experience and war experience. once again. hello!! oh, and yes, all the woman around him are hotties, but they have character as well. :)
Jeepers...there's nothing like a political discussion to get the comments rolling on Allison's blog! :)
I just completely disagree with McCain and his choice in Palin just verifies my voting for Obama. I'm incredibly disappointed in her idea that abstinence only sex education will help with the number of young mothers; and on top of that she is utterly against pro-women. That's a problem for me, not one I'll just ignore. She also doesn't have the leadership experience on the big scale...small scale yes...governor great....nation is a bit different. Anyway....ranting over for now. Good topic, though, Al.
Back in March you stated "I don't think politically and could care less how the government is run." Now, like many others, you seem enamored with Sarah Palin as an addition to the McCain team. Is your sudden change of heart based upon the character and ability of Sarah Palin, or have you merely fallen victim to the methods of some of those involved?
Since efforts began to elect Ronald Reagan to the presidency, the tendency of those supporters and those directing his and like campaigns has been to create
"wedge" issues which permit the division of the electorate so as to "win" elections. This form of electioneering ignores the true issues to be decided, and tends to cause a marshalling of camps where the "you are either with us or against us" attitude prevails. Name calling is prevalent. Baiting on many wedge issues occurs. Many call this negative campaigning.
Sarah Palin has now brought God into the mix. She has asked people to pray for various things. These words are triggers...."She's one of us." From the comments made to your post, and the thoughts implied by your own words, some might think that you believe that only Sarah Palin is "for kids." Or perhaps only Sarah Palin will stand up for what she believes in. Frankly, you all have bought it "hook, line and sinker."
John McCain alienated himself from the conservative Republican base by working to improve campaign finance laws, and by speaking his mind regarding some evangelical groups calling them intolerant. By adding Sarah Palin, McCain has now energized that base, and has drawn many back to him. Remember Ann Coulter's comment that she would vote for the Democratic candidate if McCain received the Republican nomination? Where's Ann now?
Let us talk about the issues. Iraq. It was wrong...blatantly wrong...morally wrong...deadly wrong. It is like the tar baby in the story Brer Rabbit. Old Brer Rabbit began hitting that tar baby, and the more he hit, the more he got stuck. We are stuck spending 10 billion dollars a month in Iraq. More importantly, we have seen countless deaths, many of non-combatants, and the end is not near. We have created a situation where we cannot leave. President Bush recently admitted as much to Bob Woodward. He has tied the next president's hands. Leaving Iraq will be next to impossible.
I have carried a fully-occupied body bag. I have seen and smelled the death of war. I want it for no one. I surely do not want it for unnecessary reasons. Nor should anyone, especially the mother of sons.
John McCain, to quote Evan Bayh, is bellicose. Don't you remember his singing "Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran.." It will be more of the same with President McCain.
How about the economy? We live in the Midwest. People are losing good jobs everywhere. The only jobs left will not support a family. Benefits are going out the door. Millions are without healthcare insurance who previously considered it as something that would always be there. Retirement is a pipe-dream...something that will never be enjoyed.
John McCain's plan....lower taxes. I guess he isn't satisfied with the record deficits now dragging this country down. The Republican plan has placed our finances within the control of countries that do not like us. China is holding more financial paper than we can safely tolerate. In the past, we were able to out-finance and out-produce our enemies. Now, they control us. We cannot afford a conventional war....we do not have the ability to sustain production of war materiel sufficient to fight a war. But many would choose a warrior for our next leader.
Stop with the attacks on Barack Obama's religion. It is a "wedge" issue, not a real issue. Have you seen him with his daughters? As a parent can't you be convinced that he is concerned about those little girls' futures just as much as Sarah Palin is concerned about her children's futures?
Sarah Palin has some political talent. She went from a PTA office to the Alaska governor's office. That is no small feat. However, look at the facts. The lady endorsed many of the things she now claims to be against. She is telling you what she and those in the McCain camp think will garner your vote.
I do not want eight more years of the current administration. If you look at McCain's record, you will find that he offers little if any change to what has occurred during George W. Bush's administration. I would like to see us return to the way it was with Bill Clinton. I know you will consider this a bad direction, but I must ask you "What bothered you most....the peace, or the prosperity?"
Your favorite uncle
okay, i just had a great comment going and micah hit a button and biffed it up.
the jist of my former comment was that, yes, i may be somewhat arrogant, careless, etc. but i vote for what i believe in the most. and that is usually the republican ticket mostly for the pro-life issue and personal values and beliefs that the candidates have. i just can't vote for someone like clinton who might put partial-birth abortion into law. i can't. i am torn on things like the economy and the war and such, but i'm still not gonna vote for obama because he's supposedly going to change things. it's going to be very close, i know. and if obama is our next president, then so be it. God is bigger than him, our government, and all our personal bickering. we will come together as a nation no matter what. at least i'll try. i'll pray for him and any other guy/gal in office i don't necessarily agree with, because that is what God wants me to do.
i do like sarah palin still and would like her if she was on the democratic ticket. she's just cool. i'm sorry, i'd probably be friends with the woman in real life because of who she is, not because of the political party she is or is not for.
you know, uncle butch, you should talk to my dad, he's much better at sparring than i am. girls just wanna' have fun! ;)
oh, my other comment was so much better...i was on a role. dangit, micah, you lil' stinker! i love ya!
"Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war." - John Adams
The first Vice-President (and second President) of the United States seems to have had a better handle on things than the McCain-Palin team. You should really make yourself aware of the true issues, and the facts. It is your duty as a citizen.
Your favorite uncle.
dearest uncle, what you believe the true issues to be is a matter of opionion. i'm not saying the war is not, but i'd like to see people saying we shouldn't be fighting for our freedom if we had been bombed again anytime between 9/11 and now...but you know, we'll never know that, because it hasn't happened. once again, i'm torn on the war, i think we're spending too much money, etc. but i don't totally beieve we shouldn't be doing anything about terrorists who want to kill us all and will stop at nothing to do so. so, once again, thanks for calling me ignorant and maybe i am since i'm not agreeing with everything you say...but i'll get over it. ;)
I've hesistated to comment to see how this would all play out, but I figured why not throw out my opinion and muddy the pit a little! :)
With all due respect *favorite uncle*, the arguments you have made sound exactly like all of the rhetoric being spoken by the Obama camp. Since you called Allison's comments into question for "buying into things hook, line, and sinker," I thought I'd point out that you seem to be doing the same.
As for the "peace and prosperity" of the Clinton years, I had to laugh. We're paying for all of the "stuff-itis" we had during the Clinton years...the credit market, the housing market...all great examples of the "prosperity" we had during the Clinton years coming back to bite us in the butt.
Now, I will say that while those things were not inherently Bill Clinton's fault, neither was the prosperity all Bill Clinton's doing. The war in Kuwait gave the country's economy a boost that lasted into Clinton's administration.
To set the record straight, I really don't care for either candidate. McCain and Obama are just more of the same...politicians. They both have their strengths and they both have their weaknesses.
So the moral of the story is, be nice to my friend, Allison. She's a gem! :)
P.S. Here's a link to some wise Dave Barry comments to lighten the mood...http://www.miamiherald.com/living/columnists/dave-barry/story/672195.html
Dear RYGAL...
I do not know you, and certainly you do not know me, nor my history, nor the efforts I make to keep myself informed about the issues before the electorate in this election cycle. I am very critical of those who, in my opinion, should be criticized, no matter their political party affiliatation. When distilled to my base, most would describe me as a centrist. I am very liberal regarding social issues, and somewhat conservative regarding economic issues. I am identified with the Democratic party and not the Republican party. In light of the tone expressed on some of the posts to Allison's blog, some might be surprised to learn that I have been baptised! You can be both a Christian and a Democratic party member.
I was shot at for the first time when I was 17 years old... it was not the last time. I am a proud Viet Nam veteran who wishes that our country had made better decisions back then. I am very suspect of any decision to wage war, especially when diplomatic efforts have been virtually non-existent.
I am "long in the tooth" and as a result much wiser than most young people. However, I am keenly aware that young people can be wise as well.
When it comes to the current presidential race, I am basing my position on everything I have seen and learned in life. I have made a judgment regarding trust. I do not trust John McCain, nor do I trust Sarah Palin. It is not the drumbeat of political rhetoric to which I have succumbed, but rather what I believe to be my well-tested judgment.
Please take the time to look at the following video found at http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/325.html
I think any reasoned person would conclude that Senator McCain is not being truthful. When that is coupled with his stated intention to continue many of the present policies, he cannot be supported to lead this country.
I cannot find within Governor Palin the leadership qualities required for either the #1 or #2 job. Frankly, she is far right of Senator McCain. I do not find comfort in either her extremism, nor her lack of experience in spite of the vigorous efforts to exaggerate same.
In the primary, I supported Joe Biden until he withdrew. I still find him the man best-suited for the job. After Biden withdrew, I supported Hilary Clinton. Now I support Senator Obama. He is young, he is extremely intelligent, and he has surrounded himself with good and proper advisors.
So there you have it RYGAL....now you know a little about Allison's uncle. It is unfortunate that you have interpreted my past comments as an attack upon my dear niece. An attack was not made. My comments were intended to challenge her, and others, to do their homework, and to make themselves informed voters. I suspect that this will be my last post. I fear that to do otherwise would jeopardize my relationship with those I love.
Favorite Uncle
Uncle,
Don't misunderstand me, my comments were made with a lighthearted intention regarding Allison. I'm not worried about her. I just had to give a shout-out to her being a gem!
I watched the video, and I must say that I'm still not convinced what it shows- if anything. Yes, McCain has talked out of both sides of his mouth. He's changed his opinion, about things, and often misspoken. Guess what? I bet we could find the exact same thing with each of the candidates...especially Obama. He's changed his mind so many times I can hardly remember what he said last. In politics, there are just too many people to please to really have an effective opinion that never changes.
You're right though...you have to vote for who you trust. The great thing about this country is that we have the freedom to not only discuss these issues openly, but we can also make our voice heard through voting.
By the way, thank you for the service you have given to our country. Your sacrifice is the reason that we can continue to debate things.
My dearest uncle and my dearest rygal, i know you both love me!
Post a Comment